Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Commissioned Memory Quilt

I love it when I get to work on cherished memories! A community member gave me the honor of turning her husband's Aloha shirts into a quilt! We settled on a simple pattern to highlight the bright, large prints of the shirts. I got right to work prepping them for cutting. These were a variety of different fabrics, so it was important to use a stabilizer to make them easier to work with. T-shirt/memory quilts can be a challenge sometimes because knit fabrics like to stretch all wonky!

Here it is on my design wall - all those blocks need to be arranged so that your eye moves around the quilt, rather than being stuck on any one spot. Such fun colors and designs! There are exactly 100 aloha blocks in this quilt! 10x10!

Here it is - all the rows sashed and sewn! I had to stand on a chair to get that shot, and then immediately banged my head on the...protruding thingy on the ceiling that is covered by drywall but it probably a vent underneath is all...whatever that's called! I can quilt but a construction person, I am not! Haha!


Tomorrow I'll have a picture of the borders all sewn on! Just waiting for the backing fabric to come in so I can get that pieced and loaded on the longarm! Can't wait to get this quilted and in the arms of its owner!







No comments: